Automated document retrieval
OfficePower Autodocs provides an automatic document and object server
- AutoDocs enables OfficePower Administrators and users to provide an
`on-line' object retrieval service to their customers using electronic
- Anything that can be stored as an electronic file can be handled by
- Any X.400 mail system can provide the connection facility.
- Simplified object management provided by specialised record management
- Usage statistics provide feedback about who is using the system and for
- Ideal for library applications, where many users require infrequent access
to reference documents or objects.
- Service can be provided for any PC or terminal with a suitable local mail
- OfficePower users can benefit from OfficePower Mail's in-flight conversion
Access from anywhere
AutoDocs enables OfficePower. Administrators to provide an `on-line' object
retrieval service to their customers using electronic mail.
As OfficePower's X.400 mail facilities are used to receive, process and return
document requests, your stored information is more accessible than ever,
resulting in better exploitation of information across your organisation.
Objects can be retrieved from any mail connected terminal, such as remote
OfficePower systems, TeamWARE Office networks, other X.400 systems and
non-X.400 networks via suitable gateways. By using your existing mail network,
no new communications infrastructure or end-user software is required.
Benefits of retrieval by mail
- 24 network access - for world-wide users
- Access from various end user mail packages
- Simple to use for large populations of remote users
- Cuts distribution costs - documents are retrieved as required, not just
- Ability to log usage and fine tune the information to user needs
- Retention of original object format
Flexible object storage and retrieval
Anything that can be stored as an electronic file can be handled by
Autodocs. This includes most OfficePower objects, and MS-Windows documents
specifically supported by OfficePower, e.g. MS Word. Documents supported by
OfficePower may be converted for the user by a suitably - configured
OfficePower Mail service.
Users of the service will receive a list of available documents (each
associated with a Keyword) periodically from the service Administrator.
Document requests are then made by including the Keywords of the documents
required in a mail item which is sent to the service mailbox. Many documents
may be requested in a single mail item.
By return of post a mail message is sent to the user with all the requested
documents attached. The mail message includes a cover note detailing the order
of the attachments and their contents.
Ease of maintenance
All objects are held in normal OfficePower filestore and are indexed using an
easy to use record application.
Access control facilities are available to ensure system security. All
unauthorised login attempts are noted.
Every time a mail item is processed, information about the documents requested
from each mail address is maintained in report files. These enable tracking of
users of the service and provide the opportunity for service providers to
follow up enquiries.
Day to day running information is provided in status logs with key events being
mailed directly to the service Administrator for attention.
Ease of administration
Each AutoDocs service running on your server will utilise one OfficePower user
and mailbox. All administrative functions can be carried out from this user
allowing separate services to be provided, each with its own filestore and mail
address. Items can be split into many smaller mail messages before
AutoDocs is available for OfficePower 2000 (or OfficePower/Xtra) under ICL DRS/NX, UNIXWARE
2 or 7, or SUN SOLARIS.
Return to the top of this page.